People often ask me how do I search engine optimize a site so as to achieve a high ranking in search engine. To answer that question, I have listed down 15 ways for your reference.
- Keyword Research - Before you do anything to your site, first perform a keyword research (SearchIt! is a very good tool to use for your keyword research) on your site topic. Single out all the keywords that has high profitability value (i.e. high demand and low supply). Compile them to a spreadsheet. This will be your master keyword list. You will be optimizing your site according to this master keyword list.
- Find a specific keyword - For every page, select a keyword from your master keyword list that best describes the page content. This will be your specific keyword. Select a few more related keywords. These related keywords will form the barebone of the page content.
- Include specific keyword in the filename - This is to inform the spider the relevancy of the page.
- Include a page title - Write a page title for every page, making sure that the specific keyword is included in the title
- Write a description META tag. Include your specific keyword in the description. Be descriptive and attractive. The search engine will show this description in the Search Engine Result Page (SERP)
- Write a keyword META tag - This will inform the spider of the theme and focus of this site.
- Include specific keyword in the H1 and H2 tags - Search engine treats words that appear in the header to be important and place more priority on it, so make sure you include your keyword in the header tags
- Include specific keyword in the first paragraph - Make sure that your specific keyword appears ONCE in the first 90 characters in the first paragraph of the body text. Search engine spider placea a lot of emphasis on the first paragraph of your body text, especially the first sentence of the paragraph. A point to note: do not place your specific keyword more than once.
- Insert keywords into the content - Sprinkle the specific keyword and all the related keywords over the body text. This will ensure that the content is topic focused. Do not artifically stuff keyword into the text. Phrase it in a descriptive way. Also, Google expects a keyword density of 1% - 2% only, so do not overuse the keywords.
- Include your specific keyword in hyperlinks - Search engine spider is looking for consistency in your site. By placing keywords in your hyperlinks, you are showing the spider that your site is very topic focus.
- Proper link structure - Ensure that all your pages are properly linked. Broken links are frowned upon by search engine spiders
- Keyword in image “alt tag - If your page contains images, make sure the keyword is found in the ALT tag. This will show consistency in your site.
- Request reciprocal links from other related site - Google places a high emphasis on back links from related sites. Register with SiteSell Value Exchange. It helps you to find other sites with similar content.
- Submit your site - This is the most important thing to do if you want to get rank. In addition, generate a sitemap (you can use free sitemap generator on http://www.xml-sitemaps.com/) and submit to Google regularly. This will inform Google of any changes to your site and help Google to spider your site easier and faster.
Hope these tips help you in search engine optimize your site. If you need any SEO help, feel free to contact me.
when you COULD build a SUCCESSFUL Web BUSINESS?" - SBI! Site Build It!